Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sculpture for a New Dad

One of the things I LOVE about being an artist is that people allow me to come into their lives and 'speak' for them in a way.  I experienced this, again,  recently when a friend of mine commissioned me to make a sculpture of her and her new father.  I really never imagined that I would be a sculptor - except for the strange reality that I grew up with a mentor who was primarily a sculptor - while I painted.  Now, I use the same clay he used, the clay he gave me, and it has been 'magic' in the way it continues to touch the lives of those around me.  Recently a friend of mine learned that her mom's husband wanted to adopt her.  She and I have sons, both 10.  I mention this to paint the picture that she is not a little girl but a grown woman.  There is a special love that I can't explain in words - I had to 'feel' it when I made the sculpture for the firefighters - or for the fiance who wanted a sculpture of her weightlifter husband - and now the sculpture of a young woman and her new dad.  When I think of it, I think of how each moment is new and renewing and it is never too late to reach out to someone and express your love.  

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All contents of this website Copyright 2008 Robert Girandola Studio   |   Webiste Design by LM Designing