Friday, December 5, 2008

Playing

There is an interesting concept that Guy Finley spoke about in one of his lectures - 'playing to learn.' He contrasts this with the idea of 'learning to play.' Thinking back on my childhood, and watching my children grow - there is that precious skill of playing that we tend to lose as we get older. Modifying an age old law of physics - a child at play tends to stay at play until an outside force acts upon it. As we get older, what I think happens is we tend to become more and more conscious of that 'outside force.' But it really doesn't have to be that way. I began to write - most - but then I reflected and had to change this next sentence to ALL outside forces are outside of our control - all. Think about that - doesn't that make you wonder? Think deeper - how much of our day is spent dwelling on an outside force and what to do about it? Of course we can influence some things - and we can make our opinion known, lend a hand, work hard to contribute to society - but at the end of the day it is influence only. Things happen, markets change, what we once thought was secure is all of sudden in flux. And yet, I guarantee in any city anywhere in the world in any park anywhere, you will find a child at play. Is that simplistic and unrealistic to ponder? I think it holds a secret to true happiness. If we can remember to play. These are some of the thoughts I have when working on some of my art - and I think about the economy, war, politics, health - Napoleon Hill pointed out that God gave us power over but one thing in the world and that is our mental attitude. Do you have a dream, a passion - something incredible you want to achieve? Think of this time as an invitation to find that child again, an invitation to greatness - play to learn, play to dream, play.

Stay up to date with my artwork and stories! Get your free subscription here:

1 Comments:

At December 6, 2008 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Delilah said...

Hi Robert,
I took a look at your gallery of paintings, what wonderful free spirted work there is there.I loved " Never Enough and Slaughter Run" . You are so right life is al about play.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All contents of this website Copyright 2008 Robert Girandola Studio   |   Webiste Design by LM Designing