Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day Special


I got a wonderful gift from my son this morning - A story he wrote me for Father's Day - I was so touched and moved by it, I want to share it. It fits in with the theme of my art and blog so nicely, I couldn't help it -

My First Corner Kick - by Harry

When I first did a corner kick, I was at Maccles field. The defender kicked the ball out of bounds. When the ball went out and then coach signaled me, I was about to pee my pants.
The ref put the size 4 Euro cup ball on the ground for me to kick. Then, he blew his freezing silver whistle to signal for me to kick the ball. I lined up to it and was ready to face one of my biggest fears. My dad was yelling saying you can do it Harry!! Come on, I know you can! After I heard that, I could've gone and hid in a corner. I started thinking I should just walk away now and let someone else take it. I started running, my unconfident legs feeling all noodley. I could barely run it was so uncomfortable. Then, my leg hit the ball! It vibrated a bit. I thought I did a terrible job but I looked and saw it went up and over all the heads. Someone on our team leapt in and hit it in the back of the net like a rocket! The ref congratulated me and said good job. I felt like Del Piero scoring a goal in soccer. I was so proud I couldn't trade it for all the trophies in the world.
My coach was yelling in excitement. From then on, I took all the corners on both sides. I never had any problem about corner kicks again. My dad treated me to a brand new video game because he was so proud of how I faced my fears.


I had no idea he had written this, or how he felt that day as he never told me - there are few things in life more inspiring to me than to hear stories of people who acknowledge their fear and then chose to follow their passion anyway. Thank you my son for this beautiful gift on Father's Day.

3 Comments:

At June 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Kathy Ostman-Magnusen said...

You are such a dear soul. Thank you for sharing your feelings.

Kathy

 
At September 10, 2009 at 9:56 PM , Blogger talba warner said...

How could Harry be anything but a wonderful son having you for a father? What a great story....You are setting such a great example!

 
At September 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM , Blogger Robert Girandola said...

Thank you Kathy, Thank you Talba :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All contents of this website Copyright 2008 Robert Girandola Studio   |   Webiste Design by LM Designing