Monday, November 8, 2010

Honor Is a Force Unto Itself

I am an artist. I paint. I sculpt. I make things for people to look at. If I do it right, in the looking, something happens to the person that makes them different for looking. When I write or blog; though, I find myself not writing about my work so much, but about the things that make me who I am. I think it is a round about way of talking about my art. Today's story is about a man who embodies honor. Often it probably seems to him, honor for honor's sake. He has lost so much and has experienced pain beyond which we can understand. Of his character, honor is one element which stays with him even when he doesn't know if it matters anymore. It does though. It moves the people around him, like a force of nature.

My friend Al, who I now call brother is a firefighter from NYC. If you haven't met a firefighter from NYC you are missing out on some of the finest character on the planet. Al was supposed to be at work on the day the towers fell. By chance, he was not. When he saw the news on the television his first instinct was to race at over 100 miles per hour down an empty highway to rescue or be with his fallen comrades. There was nearly no one to rescue. He asked me one night while I was working on the Engine 6 sculpture if I could imagine losing 30 of the closest people in the world to me - I simply said no, I could not.

As the faces of the Engine 6 sculpture continued to take shape, and I worked my way down to Paulie's hand, my aged mentor Laszlo Ispanky visited. In an inspired moment I blogged about earlier, Laszlo cut the lifeline into the firefighter's hand. I told that story to Al and he smiled. I could tell it meant a great deal to him. I still didn't know what 'honor' was though. I was learning this by being in his presence.

Four years later, almost to the month. My mentor died after living a full life. His sculptures circle the globe. He has honored actors and sports figures, politicians and world leaders - works collected by a sitting US President, the Pope and more. When he died, though, at such an old age there were few there to honor the man. I was asked to give the eulogy. On my way to the church a thought occurred to me. I thought, he worked on Paulie's hand, I should tell Al I'll be honoring him that morning. I texted Al. In a few minutes he texted me back 'Go slow to give me time to be there.'

I delivered my eulogy, slowly. I thought there was no way Al could make it - being over an hour away. Why would he? How would he? Delivering the words, I kept glancing to the back of the small church - no sign of him. My eulogy ended, the service ended. Laszlo's ashes were being brought out to the waiting limousine. The doors slowly opened. As the sun broke into the chapel I caught its' glint off a white hat. As I moved closer I saw the striking figure of my friend and brother, Al. He was standing there in full dress, saluting the ashes of my fallen mentor as they were carried to the limousine.

Honor is a force unto itself. It transcends a person and it moves and shapes the world. Why was Al there? Because Laszlo sculpted the hand of his fallen brother. This incredible artist who I thought should have the equivalent of a state funeral for all the work he's put into the world had something far better, something I couldn't have conceived of before that day. He had a man of honor, saluting him on his final journey.

7 Comments:

At November 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an honour to have you ask me to collaborate with you R. You exemplfy all that is honourable in our simplest and most complex humanity and you teach it in ways you have not begun to fathom.
As much as White Boxes is our shared homage to the integrity of men in war, it is has become my homage to you.

This is beautiful.

 
At November 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM , Blogger a.q.s. said...

I really enjoyed this post and it stayed with me the first time I read it. Didn't have time to comment then.

one of the most honorable things we can do is honor people with words like you did. words matter.

~a.

 
At November 28, 2010 at 6:34 AM , Blogger Matthew Fry said...

I was deeply moved by this story Robert and felt compelled to share my appreciation :)

Thank you. ♥

 
At December 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Desert Rose said...

your words touch me as deep as your magnificent work does..couldn't help a tear Robert..but yet an honorable smile followed..:)

 
At December 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Robert Girandola said...

Thank you all for your beautiful comments -

 
At December 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM , Blogger AL said...

Of all the definitions of honor, it is this one that is most appropriate: "something done or given as a sign of respect". From this rendition all others take form. For instance, "good name or reputation". I learned early in childhood that if you conform to honor, no matter what happens to you in life, it will leave it's affect or imprint on others. Just as a desperate fire-fighter reaching out for an artist and is delivered one along with a masterpiece of honor. The price paid for this masterpiece? A simple return act of honor to those who paid the ultimate price. Thank you for your kind words my brother and your friendship and genorosity. "NEVER FORGET" 343

 
At December 31, 2010 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Respect and help one another, be there for family and friends. Be accountable for your actions...Strive to be a "class act". To live a life that can and should impact others in positive and uplifting ways is not for the faint of heart, but truly the most fulfilling when it comes down to things that matter now and in the end. Mr Girandola, you added another aspect of class to the Engine 6 family with your endearing rendering of our brothers. Your mentors' subtle addition added the life-energy to the completed piece...and Al, like I always told ya, You're a real "class act". Bravo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All contents of this website Copyright 2008 Robert Girandola Studio   |   Webiste Design by LM Designing