Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Understanding Manifesting (Part I)

If you haven’t been made aware of manifestation and the power of the human mind to create the world around you then you’ve been living under a rock that, consequently, you manifested. I was awakened to this idea a few years ago – about two or three now – and my experience in wrestling with this concept has had the most profound impact on my life but not in ways that I originally thought. I want to preface this summary by saying that through careful exploration of my past I began to realize the truth in the concept that every success I had, began with an idea, a strong magnetic attraction to an idea that I could and would accomplish a particular goal. I was not aware of how powerful ‘seeing’ a goal as accomplished could be. Becoming totally aware of the process and working with it consistently has created an interesting result, but not all ‘peachy’ as some ‘guru’s’ would have you believe.
Starting with the positive, my first foray into positive visualization began back around December of 2005. At that time I had accomplished what would be considered, by all objective measures, a lot. I completed two Master’s degrees – one in fine arts from Columbia University (a goal I had as a 12 year old) and another in imaging science from RIT. My paintings have been selected in several competitive juried shows up and down the east coast but despite all this – I felt completely and miserably ‘stuck.’ Why? To be exact I imagined that after I finished all of those other intermediate goals I would then be a professional artist earning my living solely by making art – and lots of it – large pieces in museums and being part of collections around the world. As the years dragged on from completing my MFA and working as a color scientist, then pulling myself through a mind crushing Master of Science at RIT, raising a family, I continued to feel – and this is a crucial point – like an abject failure, and more so as each year passed on. I know that is the height of ingratitude – but I think regardless of what someone is accomplishing – if it does not match the ‘dream’ of what ‘success’ is, they can live a life of ‘quiet despair.’ OK – I know I said this would be positive but I wanted to lay the groundwork – I stumbled upon Napoleon Hill and the Power of Positive Thinking. I studied it voraciously and was unpleasantly made aware that I was the obstacle – I was what stood between me and this ‘vision.’ Nothing else – not my financial situation, not my parents, not the government or Wall Street or crippling student loans – just me and my relationship to my ‘vision.’ So back to the timeline – in December of 2005 I committed fully to this power of manifestation – focusing solely on the ‘goal’ – by October of 2006 I was delivering to NYC a bronze memorial sculpture honoring firefighters who died in the September 11 attacks. The Holland Tunnel was shut down to bring this piece in. I always have to pause when I think about that – I will never forget making the turn into the Holland Tunnel – looking back at the toll booths and realizing there was a police officer in every single bay holding back the traffic – thousands of cars – to make way for a sculpture (my first bronze ever) I had made. The story was on the front page of several large newspapers on the east coast and on all the local news stations. I thought, oh my, there is something to this positive thinking. So, what did I do? What would you do? I imagined more. I got even more serious about this thing and I began a journey of writing my goals, visualizing them, saying them out loud – I was like a crazy man totally committed to a process of ‘imagining’ things into existence. Well in all honesty, my impression was that the proverbial door closed again. Why? [To be continued…]

8 Comments:

At December 10, 2008 at 8:36 PM , Blogger MWM said...

Good stuff man! I look forward to the rest - please include some of the "nuts and bolts" I.e. what did you do exactly, and how did you do it? If you used meditation for example, how much time did you devote to it, etc. You get the idea - leave us some bread crumbs.
Peaceabdlove.

 
At December 11, 2008 at 12:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm on the fence about the Law of Attraction -- it sounds nice and all, but it sounds like you did not "wish" these opportunities in place. Obviously it takes skill to achieve a Masters in Fine Arts from Columbia and it took discipline to create the bronze sculpture, and I think it was more this skill being recognized than anything else.

 
At December 11, 2008 at 7:10 AM , Blogger Robert Girandola said...

Thanks Mark will do -
Thanks Diane - yes, interesting point but did you know more artists graduate from NYC each year than existed in ALL of the renaissance! In order to actually achieve something I think it takes a combination of talent and this positive visualization - a lot like an athlete - but an athlete in any area that you are most drawn to I think you add to your effectiveness by visualizing the goal - still, I hear what you're saying and I want to discuss all the problems with it that make it seem like it's not working because that is definitely frustrating.

 
At December 12, 2008 at 12:22 AM , Blogger Delilah said...

I know I would not have gotten as far as I have if I first didn't dream it.

 
At December 13, 2008 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Tangi Adopt A Rescue said...

Napoleon Hill and the Power of Positive Thinking - I am reading this book right now. But it is not the first book like this that I have ever read. I have been reading books like this for many, many years.

I don't know - seems my rose colored glasses have serious cracks in them.

I want to read more about your dealing with manifesting.

 
At December 13, 2008 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Robert Girandola said...

Delilah - Thank you for commenting - Dream/Act/Dream :)

Tangi - Great point and that is really what I want to dive into regarding 'rose colored glasses' - how do you be really honest that as hard as you try to visualize things can seem terrible - what's the deal?

 
At December 15, 2008 at 9:32 AM , Blogger tina said...

To be continued??? The suspense is killing me!
I am wondering also what the differences could be between short term and long term visualization. I know that my mind is happiest thinking in 'short term' and I focus on being happy right now. How does that translate to the future? Does it have to?

 
At December 16, 2008 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, this is a great subject and interesting blog post! I think I should put down my own thoughts about it too... ;-) for now though: a lot of sleezy stuff is being said in the name of positive thinking so I'm a bit allergic to the whole concept. Funny enough, people on Twitter have been using words such as intention and attitude. To make the story short: I feel that we don't really have to force the affirmation so much as find out what we really want to do. There are times when nothing comes forth, and so be it. One can try and poke a little and see if it's deep or superficial, but most of the time it's a matter of waiting for the incentive and then grabbing a hold of it. That's when the attitude begins, the way you want to use your power of focus. Makes sense? :-))) Vivi-Mari

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All contents of this website Copyright 2008 Robert Girandola Studio   |   Webiste Design by LM Designing